The Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL) has announced Monday that the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada and Sherbooke Phoenix have suspended all in-person team activities after an Armada player tested positive for COVID-19.
The Sherbrooke Phoenix, which faced the Armada twice last weekend, has also put its activities on hiatus while public health officials complete their investigation.
The league also sent a communication to the leaders of the Armada in which the following steps of the medical sanitary protocol were reiterated: the players and hockey staff have been placed in isolation and will be tested.
In addition, the public health authorities have been contacted by the league. They are currently investigating the nature of contact between players and staff. All findings will be shared with the teams and the circuit.
“The Quebec Major Junior Hockey League wishes to express its disappointment with this decision,” the organisation said in a statement.
“We hope that these new directives will be favorably received by the state body. The QMJHL is convinced that these new measures will once again increase the protection of our players, staff and officials of our circuit and allow all of our teams to continue the current season,” they added.
Asked about the possibility that teams would be affected by government decisions last week, the league said the league had not found any positive diagnosis since the resumption of its activities, five weeks ago.
The commissioner clarified that time slots have already been provided in case matches have to be suspended for one reason or another.
Earlier in August, the OHL said it will begin operations on December 1, and the WHL will do so on December 4. The NHL is also planning to start its next campaign in December, while the American Hockey League and ECHL hope to do so on December 4.